FENU’s strategic objectives are:
- To Influence government and donors towards improving access and quality of education for all in Uganda.
- To promote innovative and practical approaches of achieving gender parity and equitable education at all levels in Uganda.
- To initiate and support policy actions and interventions that promote lifelong learning for youth and reduce adult illiteracy in Uganda.
- To influence governments to prioritize and commit to the expansion of early childhood education and development in Uganda.
- To support planning and implementation of innovative policies and programmes that respond to HIV/AIDS, Emergencies, and environment as they affect education in Uganda.
To achieve the strategic objectives, FENU has to adapt and change, therefore FENU has set the following operational goals to improve the network functioning and positioning in Uganda’s civil society.
- To build institutional capacity of member organisations in educational policy analysis, advocacy, management, research and information systems.
- To provide space and chance for member organisations to innovatively think and take actions on specific thematic choices.
- To strengthen sharing and learning among FENU members, the secretariat and other like minded agencies .
- To seek more diverse funding from official donors and from within the coalition to be able to support FENU mission.
Policy, advocacy and influencing…
FENU’s focus on advocacy arises from an understanding that many of the inequities and problems in the education sector are policy related. By undertaking the advocacy strategy FENU will be able to address most of the underlying issues that affect education service delivery and widen the scope of impact country wide. Through advocacy FENU will influence government and donor decisions that affect the education rights of children, youth and adults in Uganda.
Monitoring ‘Education For All’ progress…
FENU recognizes that the EFA goals present a more comprehensive framework. By monitoring and defending the EFA cause FENU will influence national education priorities, planning and delivery mechanisms to comprehensively provide for the education rights of all citizens in Uganda.
Networking and collaboration…
Civil society action and the resultant impact rely on sharing of common attributes and direction. FENU appreciates that a unified civil society is better placed to support and champion the education cause in Uganda. By networking and collaborating FENU will better influence education sector stakeholders to substantively act on a wide range of issues such as: HIV/AIDS, Conflict and other emergencies, governance, corruption and the social-cultural and physical environment that affect education.
- Enhanced spaced for civil society participation in government planning
- Greater influence on education policy and programmes in Uganda
Education has always been a key development aspect that should attract participation of all stakeholders. However most times community participation in education development has been limited. By promoting citizen participation in education development processes, FENU will ensure sustained civil demand and accountability of education services in Uganda.
- Empowered society that shapes education priorities at community and district level
- Enhanced school governance practices that overcome school based challenges to schooling such as: financial mismanagement, sexual harassment, neglect, teacher conflicts and school relations with community.